Triathlon




When I was a freshman in college I remember seeing a sign for an upcoming triathlon and in passing thought "oh yeah I want to do that."  Off and on I have thought some day I would do a triathlon.  In December of last year I had decided 2008 I was going to finally get in shape.  I was still carrying around 20 plus pounds from giving birth and I couldn't stay motivated to lose it once and for all.  I knew I needed something exciting to get and keep me motivated to get healthy.  A friend had been suggesting I do a triathlon with her so I final said "YES!"  In January I started walking and slowly worked up to a jog.  The first week of February I went for my first swim and felt nervous that I could barely swim two laps before stopping to catch my breath.  I had a bike but didn't even know how to work the gears at the end of February.  The race was the beginning of April and by the end of March I was running (ok jogging) five miles, swimming a mile, riding my bike 15 miles (in hills) and loving every minute of it.  
Since April I have participated in four races one of them thru California Adventure Park and Disneyland.  My next goal is a half Ironman.  So I am going from races where swim is 1/4 or 1/2 mile, bike is around 10 miles and run is just over 3  miles. To Swim 1.2 miles, bike 56 miles and run 13.1 miles!  My only concern besides finding the time for all that training is my knees.  When I hit about 5  miles my knees hurt so bad it feels like I am being stabbed on the sides of both knees I've been going to a Chiropractor so hopefully he will be able to fix me up. 

No comments: