OK, so tonight I finally put down the needles to update the blog. It has been just under a month since I learned how to knit. I am loving it here is a picture of what I have done so far. I look forward to making lots of sweaters for next winter. Right when I started knitting Kristine said she can't wait till I make her a pair of socks. I ran out of yarn on the first scarf I was knitting and went on line to order some more, while I was on line I saw "beginning sock pattern" I was excited ordered the patten and all that was need to make the socks, yarn, needles etc.. My thought was I might be able to do these for Christmas. My fellow knitters out there are probably busting up already. For those of you who don't know apparently socks are like one of the hardest things to knit. When I received the supplies and my first clue was a set of five needles rather than the normal two. But no biggy I'm not afraid I have already taught myself how to cast on, bind off, purl, read patterns, etc, etc.. all from watching youtube. So I go on check out a video, looks difficult but still I am fearless. This is the girl who when I learned counted cross stitch and my grandmother suggested a pattern about 4x4 in length I choose a HUGE 20x 16. She insisted it would take at least a year to complete.. it was near this time of year, I finished it in less then two weeks and gave it to my boyfriends parents for Christmas. Something she still gives me a hard time about how I gave that beautiful work away. OK, so there is one part of the pattern I'm not sure I understand and I am ready to find a knitting store near me that will become my place to get advise, meet other knitters and purchase yarn for years to come. The photo on the Internet of the yarn store is so cute it is a little cottage near my home. All day I was so excited to go to the knitting store. As I walk in my enthusiasm mounts at the sight of all the beautiful yarn and samples. A woman behind the counter says, "can I help you?" As I walk toward her I explain I am a new knitter and need a few things, a tapestry needle, yarn some patterns for scarfs and she spots the sock pattern in my hand. "you think you are going to make socks?" "I know I'm a little crazy but I don't mind if I make some mistakes. I just have a few questions about the patten" As she talks she looks at me like I might be the stupidest person she has ever met. She points to where I will find the pattens, tools, etc.. "I do have a sock class but frankly you would not fit the requirement to get into that class." Then she starts drilling me "Have you purled do your edges look even, hows you tension....." I show her my first scarf and explain I ran out of yarn and saw the sock pattern..." And she says she's not surprised I ran out of yarn because my scarf looks more like an afghan than a scarf. This woman was the rudest owner of a business I have ever met! I felt uncomfortable, my joy squashed and yet I was still going to buy some things from her. I was really proud of myself for leaving without spending any money. At first it discouraged me from even wanting to go into another yarn store. I believe in supporting small business but I can buy much cheaper on line and not be talked down to. Although, I think I am getting over it and might check out a new place tomorrow. As of yet I have not attempted to cast on my sock pattern.
KNITTING
OK, so tonight I finally put down the needles to update the blog. It has been just under a month since I learned how to knit. I am loving it here is a picture of what I have done so far. I look forward to making lots of sweaters for next winter. Right when I started knitting Kristine said she can't wait till I make her a pair of socks. I ran out of yarn on the first scarf I was knitting and went on line to order some more, while I was on line I saw "beginning sock pattern" I was excited ordered the patten and all that was need to make the socks, yarn, needles etc.. My thought was I might be able to do these for Christmas. My fellow knitters out there are probably busting up already. For those of you who don't know apparently socks are like one of the hardest things to knit. When I received the supplies and my first clue was a set of five needles rather than the normal two. But no biggy I'm not afraid I have already taught myself how to cast on, bind off, purl, read patterns, etc, etc.. all from watching youtube. So I go on check out a video, looks difficult but still I am fearless. This is the girl who when I learned counted cross stitch and my grandmother suggested a pattern about 4x4 in length I choose a HUGE 20x 16. She insisted it would take at least a year to complete.. it was near this time of year, I finished it in less then two weeks and gave it to my boyfriends parents for Christmas. Something she still gives me a hard time about how I gave that beautiful work away. OK, so there is one part of the pattern I'm not sure I understand and I am ready to find a knitting store near me that will become my place to get advise, meet other knitters and purchase yarn for years to come. The photo on the Internet of the yarn store is so cute it is a little cottage near my home. All day I was so excited to go to the knitting store. As I walk in my enthusiasm mounts at the sight of all the beautiful yarn and samples. A woman behind the counter says, "can I help you?" As I walk toward her I explain I am a new knitter and need a few things, a tapestry needle, yarn some patterns for scarfs and she spots the sock pattern in my hand. "you think you are going to make socks?" "I know I'm a little crazy but I don't mind if I make some mistakes. I just have a few questions about the patten" As she talks she looks at me like I might be the stupidest person she has ever met. She points to where I will find the pattens, tools, etc.. "I do have a sock class but frankly you would not fit the requirement to get into that class." Then she starts drilling me "Have you purled do your edges look even, hows you tension....." I show her my first scarf and explain I ran out of yarn and saw the sock pattern..." And she says she's not surprised I ran out of yarn because my scarf looks more like an afghan than a scarf. This woman was the rudest owner of a business I have ever met! I felt uncomfortable, my joy squashed and yet I was still going to buy some things from her. I was really proud of myself for leaving without spending any money. At first it discouraged me from even wanting to go into another yarn store. I believe in supporting small business but I can buy much cheaper on line and not be talked down to. Although, I think I am getting over it and might check out a new place tomorrow. As of yet I have not attempted to cast on my sock pattern.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can't believe the owner of that store! How rude!!
I say make the socks...and how cool is that, you know how to knit.
My Mom tried to teach me when I was a teenager, man I wish I would have learned, maybe one of these days.
Don't let fools discourage you.
Keep on knittin'
Hey there! Lori sent me your blog address! I loved reading your blog and catching up with your life and what you have been up to. Nice to know you are a fellow knitter, although I only know how to make scarves and pot holders : ) I am totally putting your blog on my google reader!
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment