Christmas 2008

We had a relaxing Christmas season this year. As usual we spent as much time as we could in the mountains. Baxter loved the Christmas lights and if we would get home when it was dark and Kristine hadn't turned on the lights he would get very upset. We had our niece Shanell out to visit again this year, in what seems to becoming a tradition. We decided a few years ago we do not want to go crazy buying gifts for Baxter for Christmas. I know my parents went in to debt getting us everything we wanted. I don't remember asking for something I didn't get. I still wish I could go back in time a shake my 17 year old self for pouting when I thought I didn't get my class ring. Which my parents had gotten me they were just being funny and put it in a gigantic box. Ah! I was such a stinker!! Although, my parents taught us empathy by reminding us when we went back to school that some kids aren't as fortunate and you don't have to tell everything you received from Santa. But, I think by giving us everything didn't helps us learn limits and sacrifice. Anyway, I know my parents loved us deeply and just wanted us to be happy. We certainly weren't rich and perhaps they were only trying to make up for what they thought they weren't providing, but I would like to do it differently.
A few months ago I decided I wanted to get Baxter a leapster and maybe a few games for it for Christmas; that was it. I also normally get him some cloths but I had already gone shopping for him in November for our trip. Then a few weeks before Christmas Kristine saw a friend that worked for Lego land and he told her he could get her a Lego set for a lot less. She called me and I said, "Ok, two gifts. No more!" I sound like such a drag but we also have lots of friends and family who spoil him and I don't want him to grow up as an entitled little brat. So she got him a big Lego train set. THEN, a few days before Christmas Kristine had gotten her nephew a remote control helicopter and said she really wanted to get one for B. I reluctantly agreed and even headed down to ToysRus the day before Christmas Eve to get one. When I got there the only remote helicopters I could find were very small and appeared to be accurate with the suggestion of 8 & up. I called her and she insisted that was correct and he would be fine. I purchased it all the while telling myself this was a totally inappropriate gift for a three year. And a few hours after Christmas morning when he couldn't touch it without her help I patted myself on the back as being "right" as usual. Well, I was wrong after much time and energy on both of their parts after a few days Baxter could fly the thing with total control. What a great way to practice hand-eye coordination. Sometimes I wish I was a little more open and less judgemental about what I think. All in all we had a great Christmas. I loved this video I saw from another blog makes you think...




Kristine and B with the heli...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey gang!
Just sayin HI!!!!
Hope you have an AWESOME NEw YEar!

Love Ya,
Di and Mick