We have a 7 Year old!

This year for Baxter's party I tried REALLY hard to keep it simple. I thought since we were only inviting 8 kids rather than 30 I was on my way to making that happen. We decided on a Mad Science theme. It was such a blast!! When the boys arrived there was a note on the door that said The B7 Orvell Laboratories was a top secret lap so they would need to decode their super secret name. Then they would have to figure out their name some examples were Professor Chunkshopper, Waffeldink, Pickeljuice pretty silly. Then they'd walk thru the plastic drop cloth and our friend Belly was sitting at a desk with a laptop she'd ask them their top secret name and they'd tell it to her. She would enter it into the computer, we found a website that would say anything you typed in a silly voice. So the computer would say "Professor Squishy Spitballs welcomes you Professor So & So to the B7 Laboratories..." Then she would hand them a pair of goggles, a name tag that had their picture and secret name on it and a lab coat. I was so fortunate that my friend Danielle who is a scientist got me all this cool authentic lab stuff. I had markers out for the boys to decorate their lab coats while we waited for the guests to arrive but everyone showed up very promptly.. Love it! On the appetizer table everything was labeled with fun science names. And I made jello with gummy worms, something I wanted to do for Halloween but never got around to it. Next we went out to the back yard for a few experiments. First was a little competition the boys had to build a structure with toothpicks and marshmallows, the one with the tallest structure got a prize. Next, I had made different flavors & colors of pixie dust and the boys filled beakers with the pixie dust. Then we made lava lamps the boys really liked those. Baxter still has his you just have to add an alka seltzer to make it bubble. After that a guy from Mad Science came and did a performance. I heard them laughing and having a blast but I wasn't able to enjoy it since I was setting the dinner table up and cooking. After they were done we had hamburgers, hotdogs, mac & cheese, etc for them. Then of course was cake. I ordered an awesome cake and cupcakes from a local artists/ baker. We had her make lab rats on the cupcakes. The boys of course fought over the dead ones. Not only did it all look awesome it was the best cake I've ever tasted. OK, so maybe next year I'll keep in simple! It was all worth it to me because Baxter had a blast! Here are the pics...
These were little chocolate lego guys in lab coats that went home in their goodie bags and I gave out to his class for his birthday.

1 comment:

gojensens said...

Another over achiever moment! We need to combined ourselves. That way I can help you be more simpler and you can help me go the extra mile.